Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Best Friend


I always tell people that I married my best friend ~ in fact, I have. Pat & I were always cruzin' together (for years!) and I always could pour my heart out to him, laugh with him, be stupid with him, dream with him, complain to him, and just sit down & stay quiet with him. And it's been like that since we've been married. Yes, of course we have our arguments & we do stuff that irritate each other, but I'm so glad he's my husband. You know, he doesn't talk crap about other people and that's been so hard to find lately. With so much negativity around I'm so happy that I have my solace with him. I know he won't talk stink about me, or stab me behind my back, or be two-faced, or judge me. He loves me for me. For all my faults, all my mistakes, all my trials, and all my insecurities. He lets me be a bitch when I need to be, and understands that I need to act like that at times. I love that I have him in my life every single day.

Today we took the boys to the park next to our house and just ran around playing tag. We all tumbled in the grass to catch our breath and I just realized in that moment that even though we struggle dealing with outside "real-life" kinda stuff, I am happy. Life is sweet. And it's solid because of him.

Late one night, many years ago, I was overwhelmed with so many problems that I was facing. I called up Pat & asked him if he could come over & talk. He came & picked me up and we just went for a drive while I was telling him all my dramaz & bawling my eyes out. He was quiet, just listening to me and the next thing I know, we're driving in Makiki. I asked him where we were going & he said "I'll take you someplace where all your troubles will disappear for a while." We drove up Tantalus, parked, and sat on the stone wall looking over Honolulu. I felt like I could breathe again. While the wind was blowing in my face, I could just feel the weight lift off my shoulders. I have the song, "Up On The Roof" playing on my blog and it just reminds me of that night. My roof that night was Tantalus, and my roof now is at home with my hunee. Here's the lyrics:
When this old world starts a getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face
I’ll climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space

On the roof, it’s peaceful as can be
And there the world below don’t bother me, no, no

So when I come home feeling tired and beat
I’ll go up where the air is fresh and sweet
I’ll get far away from the hustling crowd
And all that rat-race noise down in the street

On the roof, that’s the only place I know
Look at the city, baby
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let’s go up on the roof

And at night the stars they put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me
That’s what I said, keep on telling you

That right smack dab in the middle of town
I found a paradise that’s trouble proof
And if this old world starts a getting you down
There’s room enough for two, up on the roof

Up on the roof, up on the roof
Everything is alright, everything is alright
Come on

But so do enter the night and climb up the stairs
We can see
We got the stars above and the city lights below
Up on the roof

4 comments:

Denys said...

Thanks. That was a nice tribute to your man. Gave me goose bumps. I feel a lot like you do sometimes- all of lifes pressures can get you down, but the true joy is your family, and all we have to do is open our eyes and enjoy it. どうもう

Denys said...

ps Love your new backgrounds! :)

mommying said...

Love is like that. It knows what we need to feel whole. The men in our lives are not meant to be perfect to anyone else but our inner selfs. Any other man can provide, be a good father, do all the "stuff". But the perfect man, knows our heart and how to calm our trouble souls. We are very lucky to have found the ones that except us for who we are no matter what.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much said...

That was very sweet. I'm happy that your happy!