Monday, December 29, 2008

Loved Ones Lost

Now that it is coming to the end of the year, I've been thinking about what has happened in '08. Christmas was good and I've written the happy things, but with the good also comes some pain. Sister Linda Kim passed away on the 26th. It was so sudden and so unbelievable. We just saw her on Sunday when we went to go look at the lights on their street. Of course Lory and her family are here and we had the chance to talk on Saturday morning. The Kim's are family to me. I grew up with them. Even though she already had 6 kids, she always made me feel welcome in their home and she let me tag along to family activities. All piled up in the cadillac! We would play Chinese games in the back yard, do chores around the house, play upstairs until she hit the lunch/dinner gong, she got me hooked on cocoa & crackers, told jokes in the jacuzzi, showed me how to pick opihi, taught us how to knit mittens, man... I really do have a lot of memories with her. I was able to know her a little more on our carpool trips to BYUH. Those two hours on the road really provided an opportunity to be in the presence of a strong, loving person. She is an amazing woman with awesome abilities and talents yet so down to earth and eager to share. Her parenting tips and advice were so helpful to me to gain more confidence as a mother in Zion. I will miss her energy, her smile, her laugh, her walk, & seeing her with her baskets full of bread, star fruit, or flowers.

Another loved one that has left us is Kepa's younger brother, Kawika. He left suddenly too, and there are more questions than answers for many people. Kawika was my "first love" ~ at 14, he was my first boyfriend. I had boyfriends in Intermediate, but he was the first one that I really cared about. My dad knew it, so he made me break up with him. I remember the next morning, I was still crying from the night before, and Sho came in my room to give me a hug. He was probably only just over one year old...
Kawika & I spent more time on the phone than anything since he lived in Honokai Hale & me in Mililani. But I remember church dances with him ~ he could really buss da moves, playing volleyball, cruzin' @ the park with Jen & Kepa, going to Ho'olokahi @ the Stadium, cutting school, making out, Ice Palace, dinner with my family, his drawings, his songs on the piano (his favorite was "she's like the wind"). Even after we broke up, throughout high school we kept in touch. Late night meets @ Kipapa park, Kam school Ho'olaulea, Zippy's, Carnivals, sneaking in Ala Moana hotel, movies, Pearlridge... I was bummed that he took another girl to his prom ~ but she became the mother of his first child. I actually went to her baby luau and Kawika brought Taylor for me to hold. He looked so happy and proud that all my immature jealous feelings melted as I held that beautiful little girl. He now has 6 kids & a widow. He was so talented and just an all around good guy. He even made Josiah's first birthday cake - m&ms- He is missed by many, many people.

Another one that also left us unexpectedly is Kaleo. He is the cousin of good friends of mine and one that I had the privilege to know. He was a go-getter, a hard worker, a hard partier, gave the biggest bear hugs, wasn't afraid of anything, but would give up everything for his daughter. I remember talking story with him when he was working security, riding on the back of his motorcycle, going clubbing, concerts at the Blaisdell, shomokin' ouut, catching rides after work, kickin' it @ Turtle bay, seeing how much Sandee was in love with him and how happy they were even if it was for a short time, & happy that he became a police officer. He also has a family and a widow, a very large extended family, and many friends that miss him.

Rest in peace. "till we meet, till we meet at Jesus' feet."

3 comments:

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much said...

Because we miss their company so much, it's painful when another one of God's angels returns home. About 2 years ago I lost one of my HS "BFFs", Bertha Samoa. But the good thing is:
"While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil."
-John Taylor

Amalie said...

awww. I have been thinking about death lately too and I was worried that my blog post would be too morbid, but I find that your post is very sweet and touching. happy new year!

mommying said...

Thanks for the post. It really is so sweet and thoughtful. 2008 has been hard and hurtful. My Aunty Velma, Kepa's Uncle Michael, Kawika, Sister Kim. It's tough to see the pain everyone else feels. Some families can deal but others have like you said more questions than answers and poor Kepa will just never get over it. It was so raw and palpable on New Year's Day when we headed over to the graveyard. Kepa in tears again. How does that ever go away or heal. My new saying, "What you suppress, you obsess". Love you though and thanks for remembering the good times with Kawika. Stuff I totally forgot about.